Skip to content

Venue: Committee Rooms, 2nd Floor, West Wing, Guildhall

Contact: John Cater  Email: john.cater@cityoflondon.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1.

Apologies

Minutes:

Apologies were received from Deputy Joyce Nash.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 1.

2.

Declarations by Members under the Code of Conduct in respect of items on the Agenda

Minutes:

No declarations of interest were made.

 

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 2.

3.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 84 KB

To agree the public minutes and summary of the meeting held on 5th September 2018.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 3.

Minutes:

RESOLVED – That the public minutes of the previous meeting held on 5th September are approved as an accurate record.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 3.

4.

Outstanding Actions from previous meetings pdf icon PDF 57 KB

Report of the Town Clerk.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 4.

Minutes:

The Sub-Committee considered a report of the Town Clerk which provided information of outstanding actions from previous meetings.

 

Public conveniences

Members commented that it was considerably cheaper to support the community toilet scheme than to run the network of public conveniences across the City.

 

Members highlighted the Chancellor’s announcement of ratings relief for owners of public conveniences in the recent Budget. The Chairman asked Paul Friend to look into the implications for the Corporation, he would return to the Sub-Committee in January.

 

RESOLVED – That the Sub-Committee noted the report.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 4.

5.

Work Programme for future meetings pdf icon PDF 51 KB

Joint report of the Town Clerk and City Surveyor.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 5.

Minutes:

The Sub-Committee considered a joint report of the Town Clerk and City Surveyor which provided information of the Work Programme for future meetings.


RESOLVED – That the Sub-Committee notes the report.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 5.

6.

Energy Performance 2018/19 Q1 report pdf icon PDF 136 KB

Report of the City Surveyor

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 6.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Sub-Committee received a Report of the City Surveyor concerning energy performance

 

The City Surveyor highlighted the ongoing boiler replacement work being undertaken at the Central Criminal Court which would support the Corporation’s overall energy reduction targets.

 

RESOLVED – that the Sub-Committee noted the Report

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 6.

7.

Guildhall Yard Refurbishment/replacement of paviours and drainage pdf icon PDF 76 KB

Report of the City Surveyor

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 7.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Sub-Committee received a Report of the City Surveyor concerning the Guildhall yard.

 

The City Surveyor informed Members that temporary solutions had been implemented to help mitigate flood risk.

 

A Member queried whether the Corporation’s insurance would cover flooding to the Guildhall Art Gallery basement, where much of the Corporation’s art collection was stored.

 

The City Surveyor and the Chamberlain would follow up with the insurance team and update the Sub-Committee in January.

 

RESOLVED – that the Sub-Committee approved the following:

 

·         The City Surveyor to engage a Consultant to carry out a survey and detailed design proposal for the paviours and drainage.

 

·         The City Surveyor to provide detailed options and associated costs by means of a Gateway 3/4 report for members approval.

 

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 7.

8.

AWP Progress Report Q2 2018/2019 pdf icon PDF 144 KB

Report of the City Surveyor

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 8.

Minutes:

The Sub-Committee received a Report of the City Surveyor concerning the additional works programme.

 

A Member queried whether it was appropriate to include “savings” (in the appendix on page 26) when each sum (for City’s Cash, City Fund and Guildhall admin) had yet to be spent.

 

RESOLVED – that Members noted the Report.

 

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 8.

9.

CWP Progress Report Q2 2018/2019 pdf icon PDF 125 KB

Report of the City Surveyor

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 9.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Sub-Committee received a Report of the City Surveyor concerning the cyclical works programme.

 

RESOLVED – that Members noted the Report

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 9.

10.

Mansion House External Cleaning and Lightning pdf icon PDF 168 KB

Report of the City Surveyor

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 10.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Sub-Committee considered a Report of the City Surveyor concerning the Mansion House.

 

Officers updated Members on the potential cleaning and lighting works at the Mansion House. Conservationists have advised that there is strong evidence that every time Portland stone is cleaned the surface pores open a little more and the building gets dirtier quicker. This results in more frequent cleans leading to expense and ultimately damaging the stone.

A Member asked whether there was any alternative treatment that could be used that would be more sensitive to the stone, they pointed out that given the introduction of the Bank safety scheme, the reduction in air pollution in the area would mean it would be an opportune time to carry out the cleaning soon. The Port Health and Environmental Services Committee were monitoring air pollution levels at Bank junction.

 

Officers added that it was determined that merging the work at Mansion House with the work at St Lawrence Jewry was impractical so both projects would proceed separately.

 

Given the original query about the works at the Mansion House was raised at the Court of Common Council in early 2018, the City Surveyor will liaise with the Chairman of the Finance Committee before the December meeting of the Court of Common Council to ensure that the Chairman can provide a full update to Members of the Court.

 

RESOLVED – that Members approved the following:

 

·         Approve option 4, to carry out a full external overhaul of Mansion House, which will ensure that the building is maintained in a good condition with its appearance being

greatly lifted and improved. This will bring greater confidence in the condition of the building for the foreseeable future.

 

·         Approve option 5 in addition to option 4, which will provide an upgrade to the existing lighting and improve

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 10.

11.

Temple Bar - Report Seeking Delegated Authority pdf icon PDF 42 KB

Report of the City Surveyor

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 11.

Minutes:

The Sub-Committee received a Report of the City Surveyor concerning Temple Bar.

 

Members asked what access to the building the Corporation had throughout the year. Officers responded that in recent years the Corporation had 15 days access annually on a concessionary basis. Members wanted to confirm whether this could be maintained or even enhanced under the new proposed agreement.

 

RESOLVED - Members asked officers to return to the Sub-Committee with an update on access in January.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 11.

12.

Rights of Light Claim Progress - Bernard Morgan House, EC1 (City Fund) pdf icon PDF 804 KB

Report of the City Surveyor

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 12.

Minutes:

The Sub-Committee received a Report of the City Surveyor concerning Bernard Morgan House.

 

RESOLVED – that Members noted the Report.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 12.

13.

Questions on matters relating to the work of the sub-committee

Minutes:

There were no questions.

 

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 13.

14.

Any other business that the Chairman considers urgent

Minutes:

There were no urgent items.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 14.

15.

Exclusion of the Public

MOTION - That under Section 100(A) of the Local Government Act 1972, the public be excluded from the meeting for the following items on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Part I of the Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act.

 

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 15.

Minutes:

RESOLVED - That under Section 100(A) of the Local Government Act 1972, the public be excluded from the meeting for the following items on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Part I of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act.

 

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 15.

16.

Non-Public Minutes

To agree the non-public minutes of the meeting held on 5th September.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 16.

Minutes:

The non-public minutes of the previous meeting held on 5th September were approved as an accurate record.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 16.

17.

Outstanding Actions from non-public minutes of previous meetings

Report of the Town Clerk.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 17.

Minutes:

The Sub-Committee noted a report of the Town Clerk which provided information of outstanding actions from previous meetings.

 

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 17.

18.

Operational Property: Capital Projects 2018/19

Report of the Town Clerk

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 18.

Minutes:

The Sub-Committee received a Report of the Town Clerk concerning the Capital Projects in 2018/19.

 

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 18.

19.

OPR overall programme update report

Joint Report of the Chamberlain and the City Surveyor

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 19.

Minutes:

The Sub-Committee received a Report of the City Surveyor concerning the Operational Property Review.

 

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 19.

20.

Letting of 2nd - 5th floors, 78-83 Upper Thames St EC4 (Walbrook Wharf offices)

Report of the City Surveyor

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 20.

Minutes:

The Sub-Committee considered a Report of the City Surveyor concerning the Walbrook Wharf offices.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 20.

21.

Holloway Estate (IAF)

Report of the Director of Community and Children’s Services

 

Report withdrawn

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 21.

Minutes:

This Report was withdrawn.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 21.

22.

Guildhall Budget 2019/20 bid

Report of the City Surveyor

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 22.

Minutes:

The Sub-Committee considered a Report of the City Surveyor concerning the Guildhall administration budget.

 

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 22.

23.

Accommodation and Ways of Working Gateway

Report of the City Surveyor

 

To Follow

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 23.

Minutes:

This paper was withdrawn

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 23.

24.

Guildhall Event Chairs

Report of the City Surveyor

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 24.

Minutes:

The Sub-Committee considered a Report of the City Surveyor concerning the Guildhall event chairs.

 

 

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 24.

25.

GSMD - Capital Cap Update Report

Report of the Director of Operations and Buildings – Barbican Centre.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 25.

Minutes:

The Sub-Committee received a Report of the Director of Operations and Buildings at the Barbican Centre.

 

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 25.

26.

Non-public questions on matters relating to the work of the sub-committee

Minutes:

There was one question.

 

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 26.

27.

Any other business that the Chairman considers urgent and which the Committee agree should be considered whilst the public are excluded

Minutes:

There was one item of urgent business.

 

 

 

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 27.

 


Back to top of page