Skip to content

Venue: Committee Rooms, 2nd Floor, West Wing, Guildhall

Contact: Leanne Murphy  Email: leanne.murphy@cityoflondon.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1.

Apologies

Minutes:

Apologies were received from Deputy David Bradshaw, Stuart Fraser, Michael Hudson, William Upton, John Beyer, Councillor Melvin Cohen, Rachel Evans and Graeme Smith.

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 1.

2.

Members Declarations under the Code of Conduct in Respect of Items on This Agenda

Minutes:

There were no declarations.

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 2.

3.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 118 KB

To agree the public minutes and summary of the Hampstead Heath, Highgate Wood and Queen’s Park Committee meeting held on 23 May 2018.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 3.

Minutes:

Michael Welbank gift presentation

The Chairman introduced Michael Welbank, a previous Chairman of the HHHWQP Committee, who was an invited guest of the Chairman. Mr Welbank advised that not only had he been professionally involved with the Hampstead Heath for a number of years working on key projects such as the Ponds Project but was also personally involved as a local resident. Mr Welbank presented the Chairman with a personalised gavel gifted to the Committee which was made from oak trees at the Heath.

 

RESOLVED, that the public minutes of the meeting held on 23 May 2018 were approved as a correct record.

 

Matters arising

 

The Chairman requested an update regarding the feasibility study of the Play Area toilet facility. Members were advised that a consultant had been provided with the feasibility results which would be going to the next Queen’s Park Consultative Group for feedback.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 3.

4.

ACTIONS SHEET pdf icon PDF 51 KB

Report of the Town Clerk.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 4.

Minutes:

Members received a report of the Town Clerk setting out the outstanding actions list and noted the various updates and additions.

 

In relation to action (1) regarding identifying a representative on the HHCC representing those with a physical disability, the Chairman noted that interviews were being set up with relevant charities post recess and it was hoped a person would be selected soon.

 

With regards to action (2), the Chairman noted that this should be separated into two actions. She advised that the draft 2018/19 Divisional Plan would be going to the HHCC first before sign-off at the next HHHWQPC meeting. The division’s Risk Register was not complete and would also come to the next meeting.

 

Actions (3) and (4) were covered elsewhere on the agenda.

 

RECEIVED.

 

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 4.

5.

MINUTES OF THE HAMPSTEAD HEATH CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE pdf icon PDF 129 KB

To receive the public minutes of the Hampstead Heath Consultative Committee meeting held on 9 July 2018.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 5.

Minutes:

The public minutes of the Hampstead Heath Consultative Committee meeting held on 9 July 2018 were received.

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 5.

6.

Superintendent's Update pdf icon PDF 115 KB

Report of the Superintendent of Hampstead Heath.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 6.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report of the Superintendent providing an update on matters concerning Hampstead Heath, Highgate Wood and Queen’s Park. The following points were made:

 

Hampstead Heath Management Plan

 

·         The Superintendent advised Members that development of the Hampstead Heath Management Plan 2018-2028 was progressing to schedule and that a final draft would be submitted to Members of the Hampstead Heath Consultative Committee (HHCC) with the final version to come to the Committee for signoff at its November meeting.

 

Land acquisition

 

·         The Chairman updated Members that she had met with the buyer of the Harry Hallowes land with Mark Hutchinson regarding his intensions for the land which was followed up with a formal letter setting out the responsibilities of the buyer, particularly the need to manage the Japanese Knotweed on the land. The buyer has since met the team and visited the land.

 

Planning

 

·         The Water House, Millfield Lane 2017/3692/P. The Superintendent advised Members that this planning application had been granted subject to S106. It was noted that work had begun and that the Superintendent would be attending a meeting on site next week.

 

·         Parliament Hill William Ellis School 2018/1270/P. The Superintendent noted that he had a seat on the working group and that work was progressing.

 

·         South Fairground Site. The application was subject to enforcement action London Borough of Camden and Officers had given Counsel for the development to be removed.

 

·         North Fairground Site 2017/4346/P. It was noted that the London Borough of Camden had not determined the application to the timescale and therefore a local enquiry was ongoing with Officers providing witness statements.

 

·         Jack Straws Castle 2017/2064/P. A decision has not yet been determined and Officers await a decision.

 

·         Chester Court, Lissenden Garden 2017/1353/P. The Superintendent advised that Officers had presented evidence against

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 6.

7.

Hampstead Heath Site Specific Events Policy Part Two pdf icon PDF 65 KB

Report of the Superintendent of Hampstead Heath.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 7.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report of the Superintendent of Hampstead Heath concerning the Hampstead Heath Site Specific Events Policy Part Two.

 

The Chairman noted that Part Two had already been discussed heavily at the last HHCC meeting, particularly the proposed Event Scale, and Members voted in favour of Option 1. Members were happy with the proposed option and agreed with the decision of the HHCC.

 

The Kenwood House General Manager noted that the were many similarities regarding planning events at Kenwood House and the Heath and had experienced similar issues regarding public versus private events. He agreed to provide Members with a washup of events at Kenwood House for the next meeting.  

 

RESOLVED – That Members approve the proposed Events Policy (Part Two) for Hampstead Heath (Appendix 1).

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 7.

8.

Hampstead Heath, Highgate Wood and Queen's Park Risk Management pdf icon PDF 76 KB

Report of the Director of Open Spaces.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 8.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report of the Director of Open Spaces concerning the management of risks undertaken by the Open Spaces Department and the Hampstead Heath, Highgate Wood & Queen’s Park Division.

 

Members were advised that there were nine risks identified - five amber and four green – and that the green items would come off the report unless there was a change to the risk.

 

RESOLVED – That Members:-

 

·         Approve the Hampstead Heath, Highgate Wood and Queen’s Park risk register included at Appendix 2;

 

·         Agree the removal of the three static ‘green’ risks from future risk reports to this Committee, as proposed in paragraph 13;

 

·         Note the Corporate Risk Matrix at Appendix 1 and the Hampstead Heath, Highgate Wood & Queen’s Park Current and Target Risk Grid at Appendix 3.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 8.

9.

Review of the Annual Work Programme January 2017 to March 2018 pdf icon PDF 134 KB

Report of the Superintendent of Hampstead Heath.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 9.

Minutes:

Members considered a report of the Superintendent of Hampstead Heath providing a review of an extended 15-month Annual Work Programme (AWP) carried out on Hampstead Heath from January 2017 until March 2018.

 

RESOLVED – That Members:-

 

·         Note the works undertaken in the review period and provide feedback;

 

·         That the views of the Hampstead Heath Consultative Committee are conveyed to the Hampstead Heath, Highgate Wood and Queen’s Park Committee at their September meeting;

 

·         Note the works undertaken in the review period and provide feedback.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 9.

10.

Revenue Outturn 2017/18 pdf icon PDF 83 KB

Joint report of the Chamberlain and the Director of Open Spaces.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 10.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a joint report of theChamberlain and the Director of Open Spaces comparing the revenue outturn for the services overseen by the Committee in 2017/18 with the final agreed budget for the year.

 

Members were advised that the Director’s deficit budget variance of £47k for Local Risk was caused by additional costs incurred from dealing with OPM and waste.

 

In response to a query regarding the costs incurred over the summer period and the impact of the heat wave, the Superintendent advised that the report covered the last financial year but predicted that the figures would be higher than expected due to the extra costs incurred throughout summer, e.g. security and life guards. Members felt that more up-to-date figures were needed in reports and should tie in better with meeting dates.

 

A Member queried whether the hot weather improved or lost money for the Heath. The Superintendent noted that swimming at the ponds was the main issue as there was currently no enforced charge to cover the costs of keeping it safe, etc. It was noted that the Superintendent was working Mark Hutchinson to change the policy on charging and a formal plan would be brought to the Committee for input when developed. This would include an initiative to improve the payment route introducing contactless payment. 

 

The Kenwood House General Manager noted that similar issues regarding payment were being experienced at Kenwood House and agreed to discuss this with the Superintendent to ensure a consistent perspective and approach.

 

RESOLVED – That Members note the revenue outturn report for 2017/18 and the consequential implications for the 2018/19 budget.

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 10.

11.

Open Spaces Business Plan year-end report 2017/18 pdf icon PDF 217 KB

Report of the Director of Open Spaces.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 11.

Minutes:

Members considered a report of the Director of Open Spaces concerning the Open Spaces Business Plan year-end update for 2017/18.

 

Members were advised that this report had been to the other Open Spaces Grand Committees in July and there had been consistent achievement of performance measures with slight improvement upon the previous year.

 

RESOLVED – That Members:-

 

·         Note this report and the achievement against performance measures as detailed in appendix 1;

 

·         Note the achievements at Hampstead Heath, Highgate Wood & Queens Park as detailed in appendix 4.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 11.

12.

Model Boating Pond Island Future Access Arrangements pdf icon PDF 81 KB

Report of the Superintendent of Hampstead Heath.

(N.B. – To be read in conjunction with the non-public appendices at Item 17)

 

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 12.

Minutes:

Members considered a report of the Superintendent of Hampstead Heath concerning the Model Boating Pond Island Future Access Arrangements.

 

The Chairman advised that this was debated heavily at the last HHCC meeting who agreed with the preferred option as set out in the report.

 

RESOLVED – That Members agree the preferred option for the future management of the Island as set out in paragraph 22.

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 12.

13.

Questions on Matters Relating to the Work of the Committee

Minutes:

There were no questions.

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 13.

14.

Any Other Business That the Chairman Considers Urgent

Minutes:

There were no urgent items.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 14.

15.

Exclusion of the Public

MOTION: That under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Part I of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act as follows:-

 

Item No.                                                         Paragraphs in Schedule 12A

 

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 15.

Minutes:

RESOLVED, that under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972 the public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Part I of Schedule 12A of the Act.

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 15.

16.

Non-Public Minutes

To agree the non-public minutes and summary of the Hampstead Heath, Highgate Wood and Queen’s Park Committee meeting held on 23 May 2018.

 

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 16.

Minutes:

RESOLVED, that the non-public minutes of the meeting held on 23 May 2018 were approved as a correct record.

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 16.

17.

Model Boating Pond Island: Non-Public Appendices

To be read in conjunction with Item 12.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 17.

Minutes:

Members noted a non-public appendix item read in conjunction with the Model Boating Pond Island Future Access Arrangements at item 12.

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 17.

18.

Hampstead Heath Ponds Project

Report of the Director of Open Spaces and the Project Director.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 18.

Minutes:

Members considered and approved the joint Gateway 7 report of the Director of Open Spaces and the Project Director concerning the Hampstead Heath Ponds Project. 

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 18.

19.

Learning Programme Long Term Funding

Report of the Director of Open Spaces.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 19.

Minutes:

20.

Questions on Matters Relating to the Work of the Committee

Minutes:

There were no questions.

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 20.

21.

Any Other Business That the Chairman Considers Urgent and Which the Committee Agree Should Be Considered Whilst the Public Are Excluded

Minutes:

There were no urgent items.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 21.

 


Back to top of page