Skip to content

Venue: Committee Room - 2nd Floor West Wing, Guildhall. View directions

Contact: Sacha Than
tel. no.: 020 7332 3419  Email: sacha.than@cityoflondon.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1.

Apologies

Minutes:

The Chair informed Members that Sophie Fernandes would be stepping down from the Committee and thanked her for her contributions.

 

The Chair also welcomed Marion Afoakwa, who was recently appointed Assistant Director of Human Resources to the meeting.

 

Apologies for absence were received from Sir Mark Boleat, Deputy Kevin Everett, Sophie Fernandes, Deputy Joyce Nash, and Deputy Richard Regan.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 1.

2.

Members' Declarations under the Code of Conduct in respect of items on the agenda

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 2.

3.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 108 KB

To agree the public minutes and summary of the meeting held on 29 October 2018.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 3.

Minutes:

The Chair tabled a revised set of minutes advising there were minor nomenclature changes.

 

RESOLVED – That the public minutes and summary of the meeting held on 29 October 2018 be approved as an accurate record

 

Matters Arising

 

In response to a Member’s query on the declarations of interest register for Senior Officers, the Chair reminded the Committee that the register of interests for Chief Officers was in the public domain and was reviewed by the Committee each year. The Director of Human Resources added that the register for Senior Officers was the responsibility of each Chief Officer to ensure they were updating the details, but the document was held centrally by Human Resources with an annual check conducted each year.

 

A Member queried the date of the Equalities and Inclusion Conference, the Director of Human Resources advised this was not yet available and Members would be provided with the details in due course.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 3.

4.

Outstanding Actions Report pdf icon PDF 44 KB

Report of the Town Clerk.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 4.

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report of the Town Clerk which provided details of outstanding actions from previous meetings.

 

Guildhall Workplace Utilisation Programme

 

The City Surveyor provided an update on the Programme, advising that the various workstreams had been aligned, a new manager for the Programme was in post and the design principles agreed. A report on the Programme would be brought to the Committee in January 2019.


RESOLVED – That the Committee note the report.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 4.

5.

Gender Identity Presentation of results and draft policy discussion

The Director of Community and Children’s Services to be heard.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 5.

Minutes:

he Chair welcomed Marcus Roberts and Simon Cribbens of the Community and Children’s Services Department, and Tina Azande from Smart Consult who provided a presentation of key findings from the consultation survey which took place in the Summer 2018.

 

An overview of who had responded to the survey and what, in summary, they had said was provided to the Committee. Members were advised that there were free text options for people to leave comments, and whilst the comments did not reflect this, respondents were generally in agreement with the questions posed. A final report on the survey including a literature review and other discussions would inform a draft policy and this would be provided to the Committee in February 2019. The Chair noted that the views of all people, but particularly those of residents, City workers and people who use the Corporation’s services were of interest.

 

Discussion took place amongst which the following comments were made:

 

Ms Azande confirmed that there were 21,000 replies received in relation to the survey, Members noted the level of non-UK citizens responding to which the Chair suggested that those respondents may reside in London and access the Corporation’s services.

 

In response to a Member’s query on the facilities at Hampstead Heath, it was noted that the question of whether the bathing ponds should continue on a single gender basis would be looked at, but the consultation showed there was positive endorsement for the Corporation’s current policy on access to the bathing ponds.

 

A Member commented that he would encourage officers to question the responses which were least in agreement with the questions posed in the survey, particularly if those were City of London workers. The Member added that in order to change attitudes, it is necessary to understand why people hold certain views, and

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 5.

6.

EU Settlement Scheme pdf icon PDF 78 KB

Report of the Director of Human Resources.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 6.

Minutes:

The Committee received a report of the Director of Human Resources which set out plans for EU Citizens employed by the City of London Corporation post Brexit.

 

The Director proposed that the City of London Corporation fund the £65 applicant fee for Corporation employees and their dependents (£32.50 for those aged under 16) for entry to the EU Settlement Scheme. The Director advised that weekly meetings were taking place amongst Chief Officers to look at the implications of Brexit and further reports and updates with longer term proposals would be brought before the Committee when more information is known.

 

A Member commented that other companies within the City were not paying the applicant fees for their employees. In response the Chair reminded the Committee of the difference in salaries and that the Corporation has a duty of care to its employees.

 

In response to a Member’s query on what other London Boroughs were doing for their employees. The Town Clerk explained that the City of London Corporation would be leading the way on this with conversations taking place with other Local Authorities. The Town Clerk added that 11% of adult social care staff were EU Nationals and in areas that already experienced issues with recruitment, the proposals outlined by the Director of Human Resources would assist with retention.

 

Members commented on whether a decision should be made on an item that was marked for discussion. Members asked that “for discussion” not be used on reports in future.

 

RESOLVED – That the City of London Corporation fund the applicant fee for Corporation employees and their dependents for entry to the EU Settlement Scheme.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 6.

7.

Review of the City of London Police Authority - Resourcing & Governance Arrangements pdf icon PDF 88 KB

Report of the Town Clerk.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 7.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report of the Town Clerk which outlined proposals to enhance the Police Authority function within the City of London Corporation.

 

In response to a Member’s query on why this report had been considered and approved by the Policy and Resources Committee in advance of the Establishment Committee, the Chair explained this was due to the timings of the meeting, but if Members did not agree with the proposals, it would return to Policy and Resources.

 

RESOLVED – That the Committee:

 

a)    note the intention to introduce service level agreements between the Police Authority and the Corporation’s professional support services;

b)    note the improvement to the governance arrangements that will enhance the Police Authority’s oversight and scrutiny function including greater strategic leadership and community engagement and better performance management arrangements;

c)    note the intention to establish the full cost of the Police Authority function for benchmarking and Value for Money purposes; and

d)    note, posts will be recruited to and will be a cost pressure on the Chamberlain’s and Town Clerk’s 2018/19 budgets. If required, a funding request may be made to Finance Committee for contingency funding late in the financial year;

e)      approve the creation of two FTE finance posts, including recommending to the Court of Common Council a new Grade I post, at a cost of up to 195,000 and one FTE Town Clerk’s post at a cost of up to £55,000 to strengthen the capacity and capability of the Police Authority.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 7.

8.

Report of Action Taken pdf icon PDF 45 KB

Report of the Town Clerk.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 8.

Minutes:

The Committee received a report of action taken under urgency procedures for the creation of a new post of a Grade J Chief Operating and Financial Officer at the City of London Police.

 

RESOLVED – That the Committee note the report.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 8.

9.

Revenue Budgets 2019/20 pdf icon PDF 99 KB

Report of the Town Clerk, Chamberlain and Comptroller and City Solicitor.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 9.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered a joint report of the Town Clerk, the Chamberlain and the Comptroller and City Solicitor which sought approval of the provisional revenue budget for 2019/20.

 

In response to a discussion on the correct process for the approval of budgets, the Town Clerk explained that the relevant service committees receive the budgets for subsequent approval on to the next stage, i.e. the Finance Committee, which makes a final recommendation to the Court.

 

In response to a Member’s query on unidentified savings as mentioned within the report before Members, the Town Clerk explained that the organisation would need to look at ways to make savings in order to run more efficiently. The Comptroller and City Solicitor added that next year, the Comptroller and City Solicitor’s Department would operate a trading account for legal services.

 

A Member commented on the employee costs and queried the increase behind some of those figures. In response, the Comptroller and City Solicitor advised there were a number of people who had received the annual increment in their pay, the Director of Human Resources added that the job grades were budgeted at the mid-point of the scale and for those who exceeded this point, additional funding for this payment was then sought.

 

RESOLVED – That:

 

a)    the Committee having critically reviewed the provisional 2019/20 revenue budget was satisfied that it reflects the Committee’s objectives;

b)    the Committee note the unidentified savings lines for Town Clerk’s Budgets of £311,000 and £360,000 for the Comptrollers and City Solicitor’s Budgets;

c)    the Committee approve the budget for submission to the Finance Committee and

d)    the Committee authorise the Chamberlain to revise these budgets to reflect any further implications arising from the Service Based Reviews and other corporate efficiency projects.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 9.

10.

Corporate Health Safety and Wellbeing Policy pdf icon PDF 91 KB

Report of the Director of Human Resources.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 10.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report of the Director of Human Resources which sought endorsement for a revised Corporate Health and Wellbeing Policy.

 

RESOLVED – That the Committee endorse the suggested revisions and refreshing of the Corporate Health Safety and Wellbeing Policy (HSP1 - draft Version 01 – 03) and agree the revised Policy attached as set out in Appendix One in the papers before Members.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 10.

11.

Corporate Lone Working / Preventing Violence Policy pdf icon PDF 109 KB

Report of the Director of Human Resources.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 11.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report of the Director of Human Resources which sought approval for a new Corporate Lone Working/Preventing Violence Policy.

 

Discussion took place with a Member seeking the definition of lone working, the Director of Human Resources advised that lone working refers to situations where staff in the course of their duties work alone or are physically isolated from colleagues and without access to immediate assistance i.e. not just immediate support/supervision of a manager.

 

A Member noted that bullet 8.4 was missing within the Policy, the Director agreed to make this revision.

 

In response to a Member’s comment on the use of the Data Protection Act 1998 within the Policy, but noting there had been a further act since, the Director advised that the advice provided as part of that act was relevant and was used as good practice. The Committee noted that if the legislation is defunct, but the guidance has validity, for this to be rephrased within the Policy.

 

RESOLVED – That the Committee approve the new corporate Lone Working / Preventing Violence Policy subject to the revisions raised by Members.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 11.

12.

Flu Vaccinations pdf icon PDF 69 KB

Report of the Director of Human Resources.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 12.

Minutes:

The Committee received a report of the Director of Human Resources which was in response to a query raised by Members at the previous Committee regarding flu vaccinations.

 

A Member commented that the cost benefit analysis was incontrovertible, and Boots seemed to provide the best value for money.

 

In response to a request for an update with regards to the Open Spaces trial of the flu vaccination, Members were informed that out of 480 staff, 85 opted to have the vaccine.

 

Discussion took place as to whether there would be tax implications, the Chamberlain advised this would be unlikely.

 

Members asked that an action plan to roll out the vaccination to staff and Members be brought back to the Committee for January 2019, and that Boots be approached by the Chamberlain to see whether a financial discount could be given.

 

RESOLVED – That the Committee note the report.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 12.

13.

Developmental Toolkit and Competency Framework Update pdf icon PDF 412 KB

Report of the Director of Human Resources.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 13.

Minutes:

The Committee received a report of the Director of Human Resources which updated Members on the pilot phase for proposed new developmental framework for managing performance.

 

A Member commented on the Competency Framework as set out in the report before Members noting there was a difference between a vision and a mission and asked officers to bear this in mind. In response, the Director of Human Resources commented that this was a work in progress and was evolving; staff were involved in developing elements of the framework and a pilot of the online system would be taking place in January 2019, with a report to come back to Committee, and the new system to go live in 2019/20. Members noted it would be useful to hear back on the results of the pilot.

 

RESOLVED – That the Committee note:

 

a)    the findings and feedback from the pilot phase of the launch of the new appraisal toolkit and the next steps and changes to progress to ‘go-live’ launch phase in April 2019 across the whole Corporation; and

b)    the continuation of the pilot groups using the new competency continuum scales from December - February 2019 in conjunction with the pilot Clear Review online recording tool which launches in November to the pilot groups.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 13.

14.

Senior Remuneration Committee Minutes pdf icon PDF 63 KB

Minutes of the meeting held on 8 November 2018.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 14.

Minutes:

The Committee received the draft public minutes of the Senior Remuneration Sub-Committee meeting held on 8 November 2018.

 

RESOLVED – That the Committee note the minutes.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 14.

15.

Questions on Matters Relating to the Work of the Committee

Minutes:

Questions were raised as follows -

 

A Member asked; “noting the agreement given by the Policy and Resources Committee regarding the new Project Management processes and procedures, do we believe the Project Management Office in the Town Clerk’s Department is adequately resourced?”

 

The Town Clerk responded that a report would be provided the Establishment Committee in early 2019 on this matter, subject to the proposals being approved by the Court in December 2018.

 

A Member asked; “regarding the mailing out of papers, there have been at least two incidents where papers have been coming out of the envelopes, how do we oversee the control of this?”

 

The Town Clerk advised this matter has been raised at two other Committees and discussed at the Committee and Member Services monthly meeting. Officers were advised that the old style of envelopes were no longer being ordered, and the Committee and Member Services Team had asked that those be ordered again to ensure the issues with the post no longer occur.

 

The Chair noted that whilst Members were pleased with the savings being made from City Procurement, it was important that quality not be compromised, and this was an issue of security. The Chamberlain noted the comments made.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 15.

16.

Any other business that the Chairman considers urgent

Minutes:

The Chair advised of three items of business to raise:

 

i)              A resolution of the Markets Committee was tabled which raised a concern regarding a paper not being on the agenda. The Chair advised this occurred due to an error within the Town Clerk’s Department. At the Markets Committee meeting, the point was raised that there were a number of vacancies within the Team, but recruitment was taking place. The Chair commented that the Markets Committee had asked the Establishment Committee be made aware of slippage due to staffing issues.

 

ii)             A report of the Director of Human Resources on the Project Management Academy was tabled, the Chair advised this would be brought before the Projects Sub-Committee taking place the following week. The Chairman of the Projects Sub-Committee commented that this piece of work would make a huge difference to staff and supported a more strategic approach.

 

In response to a discussion on funding, the Director advised it was planned for the costs to be absorbed from the training budget. The Town Clerk added that at present a number of costs were not known, but Committees would be allowed to view the costs for each project and vote accordingly. A Member queried whether the Academy could be run with London Councils. In response, the Director advised that this had not been looked at as the modules were tailored to the City of London Corporation’s governance processes. The Chair asked that a collaboration with other London Councils be looked into as part of the project.

 

iii)           The Chair raised the need to have Equality Impact Assessments for Committee reports, particularly those for decision, as otherwise the City of London Corporation would be at risk of failing to comply with its statutory duty to have due regard. 

 

The Committee agreed that the

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 16.

17.

Exclusion of the Public

MOTION - That under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Part I of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 17.

Minutes:

RESOLVED – That under Section 100(A) of the Local Government Act 1972, the public be excluded from the meeting for the following items on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Part I of the Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act.

 

Item

Paragraph

18

1,2,3,4,5

19,26,28

1,2

22

1,2,3,5

23,24,35

1,2,3

27

4

29

1,4

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 17.

18.

Non-Public Minutes

To agree the non-public minutes of the meeting held on 29 October 2018.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 18.

Minutes:

The non-public minutes of the meeting held on 29 October 2018 were approved.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 18.

19.

Outstanding Actions Report

Report of the Town Clerk.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 19.

Minutes:

The Committee noted a report of the Town Clerk which provided details of non-public outstanding actions from previous meetings.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 19.

20.

Non-Public Questions on matters relating to the work of the Committee

Minutes:

There were no questions.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 20.

21.

Any other business that the Chairman considers urgent and which the Committee agrees should be considered whilst the Public are excluded

Minutes:

There were no items of urgent business.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 21.

22.

Confidential Minutes

To agree the Confidential minutes of the last meeting held on 29 October 2018.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 22.

Minutes:

The confidential minutes of the meeting held on 29 October 2018 were approved.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 22.

23.

Market Forces Supplement Request

Report of the City Surveyor.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 23.

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report of the City Surveyor regarding a request for a Market Forces Supplement.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 23.

24.

Market Forces Supplement Request

Report of the City Surveyor.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 24.

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report of the City Surveyor regarding a request for a Market Forces Supplement.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 24.

25.

Market Forces Supplement Request

Report of the City Surveyor.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 25.

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report of the City Surveyor regarding a request for a Market Forces Supplement.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 25.

26.

Employment Matters

Report of the Chamberlain.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 26.

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report of the Chamberlain regarding Employment Matters.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 26.

27.

Change Programme

Report of the Director of Operations & Buildings, Barbican/Guildhall School of Music & Drama.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 27.

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report of the Director of Operations and Buildings, Barbican/Guildhall School of Music & Drama with regards to a change programme.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 27.

28.

Confidential Staffing Item

Report of the Town Clerk.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 28.

Minutes:

The Committee considered a late paper of the Town Clerk with regards to staffing.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 28.

29.

Senior Remuneration Committee Minutes

Minutes of the meeting held on 8 November 2018.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 29.

Minutes:

The Committee received the confidential draft minutes of the Senior Remuneration Sub-Committee meeting held on 8 November 2018.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 29.

30.

Town Clerk's Update

Town Clerk to be heard.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 30.

Minutes:

There was no update.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 30.

 


Back to top of page