Skip to content

Venue: Parliament Hill Conference Room, Parliament Hill Staff Yard, Parliament Hill Fields, Hampstead Heath, NW5 1QR

Contact: Leanne Murphy  Email: leanne.murphy@cityoflondon.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1.

Apologies

Minutes:

Apologies were received from Anne Fairweather, Ray Booth (represented by Carol Dukes), Nick Bradfield, John Etheridge (represented by John Hunt), Mathew Frith, Cindy Galvin, Colin Gregory (represented by Tony Ghilchik), Richard Sumray and Simon Taylor.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 1.

2.

Declarations by Members of Any Personal and Prejudicial Interests in Respect of Items on This Agenda

Minutes:

There were none.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 2.

3.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 121 KB

To agree the public minutes and summary of the meeting held on 16 April 2018.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 3.

Minutes:

The public minutes of the meeting held on 16 April 2018 were approved as a correct record.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 3.

4.

ACTIONS SHEET pdf icon PDF 61 KB

Report of the Town Clerk.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 4.

Minutes:

The Committee noted the various outstanding actions and the updated provided thereon. The Chairman noted that all actions were complete except action 2 regarding identifying a representative to represent people with a physical disability which was still be progressed by the Chairman and Superntendent.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 4.

5.

MINUTES OF THE HAMPSTEAD HEATH, HIGHGATE WOOD, AND QUEEN'S PARK COMMITTEE pdf icon PDF 124 KB

To receive the public minutes of the Hampstead Heath, Highgate Wood, and Queen's Park Committee meeting held on 23 May 2018.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 5.

Minutes:

The minutes of the Hampstead Heath, Highgate Wood and Queen’s Park Committee (HHHWQPC) meeting held on 23 May 2018 were received.

 

The Chairman advised Members that the opportunity to purchase the land bequeathed by the late Henry Hallowes to the Centrepoint and Shelter Charites had been heavily discussed at the HHHWQPC meeting which was reflected in the minutes. This had received a lot of press coverage and the Chairman had sent the Committee an email update to keep Members updated on matter. The Chairman confirmed that the joint bid from City of London Corporation and the Heath & Hampstead Society was unsuccessful and the land sold for £154,000 to a private bidder. The Chairman advised that she was communicating with the buyer to arrange meeting to discuss the restrictions and the responsibilities involved with managing the land. The Chairman voiced appreciation to Mark Hutchinson and John Beyer who had worked closely with the team in an attempt to acquire the land.

 

 

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 5.

6.

Hampstead Heath Sports Advisory Forum Minutes pdf icon PDF 103 KB

To receive the public minutes of the Hampstead Heath Sports Advisory Forum meeting held on 14 May 2018.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 6.

Minutes:

The minutes of the Hampstead Heath Sports Advisory Forum meeting held on 14 May 2018 were received.

 

The Leisure & Events Manager provided Members with the following updates:

 

·         Trim trail -Three new pieces of equipment have been installed following a £10K grant from Camden Council.

 

·         This Girl Can - Members were advised that a theme had been set to encourage young women to take up sport at a young age and the first events of the This Girl Can series in June had been successful. It was hoped that these events would grow as they became more popular and well known.

 

·         Highgate Harriers Night of the 10,000m personal Bests 2018 event – Members were advised that this event had been a huge success and thanked the Highgate Harriers for their hard work in organising this event. It was highlighted that 47,000 people watched the event online via the red button, the Men’s European winner (Richard Ringer) had personally praised the event as the most exciting race of his life and that new world records for the 10,000m had been confirmed by the IAAF.    

 

·         Give it a Go – Members were advised that the annual event promoting sport and wellbeing would take place on Saturday 15 July.

 

A Member noted that the short note regarding Croquet mentioned under AOB was not included with the minutes. The Town Clerk agreed to circulate the note to the Committee.  

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 6.

7.

SUPERINTENDENT'S UPDATE pdf icon PDF 67 KB

Report of the Superintendent of Hampstead Heath.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 7.

Minutes:

Members considered an update report of the Superintendent and the following points were made:

 

Planning

 

·         The Water House, Millfield Lane, 2017/3692/P. The Superintendent advised that planning permission had been granted subject to a S106.

 

·         Parliament Hill William Ellis School, 2018/1270/P. The Superintendent advised that planning permission had been submitted.

 

·         South Fairground Site. Members were advised that the owner appealed against the notice by London Borough of Camden and a hearing will be planned. The team have instructed Counsel and given evidence in this case.

 

·         North Fairground Site, 2017/4346/P. Members were advised that London Borough of Camden did not determine the case quickly enough, so an appeal has taken place. The team will instruct Counsel and submit more evidence.

 

·         Jack Straws Castle, 2017/2064/P. The Superintendent advised that London Borough of Camden still have not yet made a decision.

 

·         Chester Court, Lissenden Garden, 2017/1353/P. The Superintendent advised that the owners appealed against the decision and was denied which was the best outcome.

 

·         Members were advised that the Superintendent attended a residents meeting regarding a proposed development at 55 Fitzroy Park. It was noted that the team planned to request support as this development was in contradiction of the 2017 Local Plan.

 

Trees and Oak Processionary Moth (OPM)

 

·         Members were provided with an update on the management of OPM across the Heath and were shown a live map of the identified nests in trees.

 

·         Members were advised that the tree team would be inspecting nests throughout May to August which was a huge undertaking as 441 nests have been identified across 196 trees on Hampstead Heath. A specialist contractor will carry out nest picking on high risk trees and remove in late June to early July.

 

·         It was noted that a nest had been found on the floor causing concern for

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 7.

8.

Cyclical Works Programme Bid 2019/20 pdf icon PDF 68 KB

Report of the City Surveyor.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 8.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report of the City Surveyor regarding the cyclical works programme bid 2019/20 and the following points were made:

 

·         Members were advised that the report provided a provisional list of cyclical projects being considered for the Hampstead Heath, Highgate Wood and Queen’s Park Division in 2019/20 under the umbrella of the “Cyclical Works Programme” (CWP).

 

·         It was noted that the draft Actual Cyclical Project List for 2019/20 totals approximately £933,700 and that Members views were being sought regarding whether the projects in the Actual List and Reserve List reflect the service requirements of the Division before going to the HHHWQPC.

 

·         A Member noted that reference to the Sandy Heath Staff Yard was incorrect and should be removed.

 

·          In response to a query regarding whether the dams project had led to the extra expenditure, Members were advised that this was required based on the outcomes from routine annual inspection.

 

·         A Member noted that the refurbished toilets at Golders Hill Park were a significant improvement and requested that similar work take place at ? (missed this). The Superintendent advised that toilets were a priority with the City Surveyor. A Member noted that there was a leakage/cess pit on the path to the toilet causing a bad smell and the team agreed to look into this concern.

 

·         In response to a query regarding netting on the bank, the Superintendent advised that black net reinforcement was put in as protection for turf grown on compost but that dry weather had disintegrated it. Localised repairs and topdressing would take place in autumn. A Member recommended using green netting and eco-turf which was thicker and the Superintendent agreed to discuss this with the engineers.

 

·         A Member regarded two structures as ugly and queried if these could be softened by ivy. The Superintendent

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 8.

9.

Hampstead Heath Site Specific Events Policy Part Two pdf icon PDF 67 KB

Report of the Superintendent of Hampstead Heath.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 9.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report of the Superintendent of Hampstead Heath regarding the Hampstead Heath Site Specific Events Policy Part Two. The following points were made:

 

·         Members were advised that part One had been signed off and that Part Two would ensure that events were consistently managed across the Department; and that individual events were considered against the impact they could have on a specific Open Space.

 

·         The Superintendent gave special thanks to Helen Payne, John Etheridge and Nick Bradfield for their input into the event policy which had all been incorporated.

 

·         The Superintendent advised that there were three options offered regarding thresholding noting that option 1 was the proposed option and sought Members views.  

 

·         It was noted that Richard Sumray had advised that he supported option 1.

 

·         A Member noted that his suggested wording for 6.4 had not been fully included. It was agreed that all suggestions would be incorporated, and the Superintendent would take the final version to the advisory group for checking before circulating to the Committee.

 

·         A Member was concerned over how many extra events would need to come to the Committee felt that clarity should be given in the options regarding extra/new events.

 

·         A Member was surprised at the size of 72 acres which was a tenth of the Heath. The Superintendent advised that this was quoted from existing legislation and was generally for larger sporting events.

 

·         It was recommended that a larger map be used with clearly defined lines.

 

·         A Member suggested incorporating the word heritage to 6.1.

 

·         A Member questioned the use of the wording “high quality” in 6.5 and felt this was not the correct terminology.

 

·         A Member felt that there was ambiguity regarding whether small events could be held on grass and recommended clarity.

 

·         A Member recommended adding a point to the

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 9.

10.

Review of the Annual Work Programme January 2017 to March 2018 pdf icon PDF 134 KB

Report of the Superintendent of Hampstead Heath.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 10.

Minutes:

  ----

RESOLVED - With two hours having elapsed since the start of the meeting, in accordance with Standing Order No. 40 the Committee agreed at this point to extend the meeting by up to thirty minutes.

----

 

Members considered a report of the Superintendent of Hampstead Heath regarding a review of an extended 15-month Annual Work Programme (AWP) carried out on Hampstead Heath from January 2017 until March 2018. The following comments were made:

 

·         In response to a query regarding putting the information online, Members were advised that the map could be populated but not the data.

 

·         A Member noted the low percentage of cyclists being prosecuted. Members were advised that cyclists first receive a warning, get a second stronger warning if caught again and prosecuted if caught on a third occasion. It was noted that the City of London Corporation needed to be confident of a win when taking someone to court and that a strong warning and threat of a £500 fine was generally enough to prevent reoffending. 

 

·         A Member noted that the survey needed upgrading to provide a more comprehensive list of species of butterflies and recommended working with other organisations or graduates. The Superintendent agreed to provide the Member with the list from three years ago. The Chairman suggested that a paper and/or a focus group was necessary to ensure consultation of the ecology.

 

·         In response to a query concerning the availability of disability access, Members were advised that a report on this matter would be coming to the next Committee meeting.

 

·         Members discussed the need for a policy regarding the use of drone at the Heath. It was noted that the Heath followed current guidance but that a new law would be passed in November 2019 and would dictate development of a drone policy.

 

·         A

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 10.

11.

Hampstead Heath 2018 MANAGEMENT PLAN update pdf icon PDF 65 KB

Report of the Superintendent of Hampstead Heath (TO FOLLOW).

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 11.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report of the Superintendent of Hampstead Heath regarding the progress to deliver the Hampstead Heath Management Plan 2018-2028 along with the final progress report on the 2007 Hampstead Heath Management Plan. The following comments were made:

 

·         It was noted that the Committee had requested at its last meeting to extend the consultation of the management Plan and the updated timeline was highlighted.

 

·         A Member felt the plan was more of a list of a list of aspirations with no priorities. The Chairman clarified that the Divisional Plan provided the priorities and that the 10 Year Plan was more strategic. It was noted that the Management Plan was deliberately high level and still in a very early draft form to allow for engagement to flesh out the detail.

 

·         Members were encouraged to provide comments via email and it was noted that the deadline to provide feedback for revised draft document was mid-September.

 

RESOLVED - that:-

 

·         Members note the final progress report on the 2007 Hampstead Heath Management Plan and the revised schedule for completion of the new Hampstead Heath Management Plan 2018- 2028, as set out in paragraph 7;

 

·         Members provide feedback on the first draft of the Hampstead Heath Management Plan 2018-2028;

 

·         The views of the Hampstead Heath Consultative Committee be conveyed to the Hampstead Heath, Highgate Wood & Queen’s Park Committee at their meeting on 5 September 2018.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 11.

12.

Heath Hands update pdf icon PDF 1 MB

The Superintendent of Hampstead Heath to be heard.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 12.

Minutes:

Members noted a report from Heath Hands regarding the Community Heath highlights for 2017/18.

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 12.

13.

Questions

Minutes:

There were no questions.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 13.

14.

Any Other Business That the Chairman Considers Urgent

Minutes:

The Chairman advised Members that the Committee Dinner was now being planned for January 2019 rather than October.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 14.

15.

EXCLUSION OF THE PUBLIC

MOTION - That under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Part I of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 15.

Minutes:

RESOLVED, that under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972 the public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Part I of Schedule 12A of the Act.

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 15.

16.

MINUTES OF THE HAMPSTEAD HEATH, HIGHGATE WOOD AND QUEEN'S PARK COMMITTEE

To receive the non-public minutes of the Hampstead Heath, Highgate Wood and Queen's Park Committee meeting held on 23 May 2018.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 16.

Minutes:

The non-public minutes of the meeting held on 16 April 2018 were approved as a correct record.

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 16.

17.

NON PUBLIC QUESTIONS RELATING TO THE WORK OF THE COMMITTEE

Minutes:

There were no questions.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 17.

18.

ANY OTHER BUSINESS THAT THE CHAIRMAN CONSIDERS URGENT AND WHICH THE COMMITTEE AGREE SHOULD BE CONSIDERED WHILST THE PUBLIC ARE EXCLUDED

Minutes:

There was no other business.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 18.

19.

Date of Next Meeting

The date of the next meeting is 29 October 2018 at 7.00 pm.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 19.

Minutes:

The date of the next meeting on 29 October 2018 at 7.00pm was noted.

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 19.

 


Back to top of page