Report of the Superintendent of Hampstead Heath.
Members considered a report of the Superintendent of Hampstead Heath regarding the Model Boating Pond Island – Options Appraisal and the following points were made.
· The Superintendent noted that the petition for the island to be managed as a refuge for swans free from public access had reached 5000 signatures but had not yet been formally submitted.
· The dry Spring weather had slowed down recovery of vegetation at the Model Boating Pond.
· In response to a question, the Superintendent replied that the main objective of the land in question was to protect trees – but that the causeway was intended for public access once the ground had been given an opportunity to recover. There was also the possibility that the land be used by anglers – all of which could be discussed when the Committee visited the land in question on its next walk.
RESOLVED, that Members
· Note the options outlined within the report.
· Note that it was the majority view of the Hampstead Heath Consultative Committee that the island be managed as a refuge for birds free from public access
· Approve that the island remains closed to the public during the restoration period and until a final decision is taken on its use at the July 2018 meeting of this Committee.