Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Committee Rooms, 2nd Floor, West Wing, Guildhall

Contact: Julie Mayer
tel.no.: 020 7332 1410  Email: Julie.Mayer@cityoflondon.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1.

Apologies

Minutes:

Apologies were received from Gordon Griffiths.

The Chair welcomed Dave Taylor, the new representative for Gilbert House.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 1.

2.

Members Declarations under the Code of Conduct in respect of items on the agenda

Minutes:

There were no declarations.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 2.

3.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 195 KB

To agree the minutes of the Barbican Residents’ Consultation Committee (RCC) held on 1st March 2021.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 3.

Minutes:

RESOLVED, that – the minutes of the meeting held on 1st March 2021 be approved.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 3.

4.

'YOU SAID; WE DID' - Outstanding Actions List pdf icon PDF 115 KB

Members are asked to note the Committee’s Outstanding Actions List.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 4.

Minutes:

The Committee received the outstanding actions list.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 4.

5.

Car Park Charging Policy pdf icon PDF 145 KB

Report of the Director of Community and Children’s Services.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 5.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee received a report of the Director of Community and Children’s Services which set the context for the review of the Charging Policy for Car Parking and Stores on the Barbican Estate.

 

In response to a question about the difference in charges between stores within car parks and buildings, given that stores within buildings are at 93% occupancy, the Assistant Director advised that the 8% increase had been recommended by the Car Park Charges Working Party.  The Barbican Residential Committee (BRC) on 28th June would receive a copy of the minutes of this meeting, with these comments recorded.  The Chairman also asked if it would be possible for the RCC to receive the accounts schedule, which had been considered by the Working Party.

 

In response to a further question about the number of new bays compared to surrenders, the officer advised that this data represented just one period and was monitored very closely.   Members noted that officers also asked for the reason for surrenders, but it was rarely forthcoming.   The Assistant Director confirmed that, whilst the Department was being asked to make 12% savings, in line with other City Corporation Departments, it would not apply to areas covered by the service charge.  However, officers were working with the residents’ Leaseholder Service Charge Working Party; looking at ways to achieve value for money and capping the upward trend. 

 

RESOLVED, that – the report be noted.

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 5.

6.

Fire Safety Update pdf icon PDF 153 KB

Report of the Director of Community and Children’s Services.

 

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 6.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee received a report of the Director of Community and Children’s Services which provided an update on progress made in relation to fire safety matters since the last update report submitted to Committee in December 2020.

During the discussion and questions the following points were noted:

  1. There had been some delays to the fire risk assessment due to Covid, but Turner Townsend had been appointed following a corporate procurement exercise, and a new fire officer had been appointed to the department.
  2. Arup’s brief had been circulated to the BRC and would also be shared with the RCC.   The Arup survey was progressing, and the Chairman agreed to work with the Assistant Director in order to agree an appropriate audience to receive their findings. 
  3. The award of tender for Frobisher Crescent was expected next week, and the successful contractor would be required to develop a robust communications protocol.  The Assistant Director met regularly with the Art Centre in respect of fire safety.
  4. All the works would comply with the new Fire Safety Bill, noting there is no ACM cladding on the Barbican Estate.   The Assistant Director was working on a joint report with the Remembrancer in respect of the implementation of the new Bill, which would be presented to the relevant Committees.  
  5. The Member/Officer Fire Safety Working Group had been set up about 18 months ago.  The Membership included the Chairman and Deputy Chairman of the BRC, together with a couple of other BRC Members. The Chairman (of the BRC) agreed to share the last set of minutes and membership details, for circulation with the minutes of this meeting.
  6. Residents would only pay for the signage used and would not be liable for any abortive costs. 

RESOLVED, that – the report be noted.

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 6.

7.

Climate Action Strategy pdf icon PDF 161 KB

Report of the Director of Community and Children’s Services.

 

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 7.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee received a report of the Director of Community and Children’s Services, which set out the position of the Barbican Residential Estate in relation to the City of London Corporation’s Climate Action Strategy, and informed Members of the opportunities and next steps in progressing towards the decarbonisation of the housing stock.

Some disappointment was expressed about the low turnout of residents at the first meeting of the Workshop, and the Assistant Director agreed to speak to the Climate Actions Strategy Communications Team.  It was suggested that, in order to maximise the credibility of the Barbican Association and RCC, it would be helpful to know the content in advance, noting that the next Workshop is scheduled for 5th July 2021.    Members noted that the outcome of the survey report was likely to be reported to the next meeting.  The Assistant Director advised that some interesting findings were emerging and agreed to discuss them further with the Chairman.  The Chairman also encouraged Members to share information with their House Groups and commended the informative content of the Estate Office’s weekly emails.   

RESOLVED, that – the report be noted. 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 7.

8.

Barbican Fire Door Replacement Programme pdf icon PDF 46 KB

Report of the Director of Community and Children’s Services.

 

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 8.

Minutes:

The Committee received a report of the Director of Community and Children’s Services in respect of a programme of works to replace all fire rated doors (including any associated panel surrounds, fanlight windows, refuse cupboards and intake cupboards) within the residential blocks of the Barbican Estate, to ensure that they meet fire safety requirements.

Members noted that this was a complex project, due to the Estate’s Listed Building Status and,  whilst the survey would dictate the works schedule, it would also be sensitive to making good requirements.   The officer also advised that the full door replacement programme was likely to take 2-3 years.  Members noted that the design was reliant on consultation, which was at an early stage, and the establishment of a communication channel and working party would follow.   In response to a question about lift replacement, the officer gave assurance that all projects were strictly co-ordinated.  Members also noted that the Asset Management Working Party (AMWP) would be considering the outline programme, which would then be shared with residents as soon as possible. 

RESOLVED, that – the report be noted. 

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 8.

9.

Communal Repairs & Redecoration Programme for the Barbican Estate (2015-2020) - Outcome Report (Gateway 6) pdf icon PDF 106 KB

Report of the Director of Community and Children’s Services.

 

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 9.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee received two reports in respect of the Communal Repairs & Redecoration Programme for the Barbican Estate, which the Chairman agreed to take together.

 

It was suggested that, in order to maintain transparency, the schedule of rates and total figures be considered by the Asset Maintenance Working Party (AMWP).  Members noted that that the fire doors survey would also inform the redecorations programme.

The Chairman advised that with regard to internal redecorations, some areas within buildings, had extremely low traffic, and this warranted further discussion within House Groups, as removing unnecessary and unwanted work from the programme would save on service charges.

 

RESOLVED, that – the report be noted.

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 9.

10.

Communal Repairs & Redecoration Programme for the Barbican Estate (2020-2025) - Progress Report (Gateway 5) pdf icon PDF 91 KB

Report of the Director of Community and Children’s Services Committee.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 10.

Minutes:

11.

Barbican Podium Waterproofing, Drainage and Landscaping Works (Ben Jonson, Breton & Cromwell Highwalk) -Phase 2 - 1st Priority Zone pdf icon PDF 141 KB

Report of the Director of Community and Children’s Services.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 11.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee received a redacted report of the Director of Community and Children’s Services in respect of the surface refurbishment, replacement of defective waterproofing membrane, drainage improvements and landscaping works to the Barbican Podium. 

Members noted that the Project Website would be going live in July and a provisional date for a webinar had been scheduled for 20th July 2021.  In response to a question about the Gateway 6 (Outcome/ Lessons Learnt) report on Phase 1, the Assistant Director advised that this had not be signed off due to  outstanding issues with leaks and defects,  which would need to be resolved first.   However, officers were aware of the potential  causes , and this learning would be carried forward to Phase 2.   Members would receive an interim Outturn Report in the Autumn,  providing more detail. 

The Chairman advised that a resident had expressed concerns  about white staining on the tiling around the water feature by Bunyan Court. The Assistant Director advised that this had been inspected and would update the Chairman and resident with a proposed solution.

RESOLVED, that – the report be noted.

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 11.

12.

Commercial letting: Podium Unit Shakespeare Tower, Barbican Estate pdf icon PDF 124 KB

Report of the Director of Community and Children’s Services.

 

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 12.

Minutes:

The Committee received a redacted report in respect of a commercial lettering, which would be considered by the BRC on  28th June 2021.

RESOLVED, that – the report be noted.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 12.

13.

SLA Review pdf icon PDF 117 KB

Report of the Director of Community and Children’s Services.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 13.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee received a report of the Director of Community and Children’s Services, which updated Members on the review of the estate wide implementation of Service Level Agreements (SLAs) and Key Performance Measures (KPIs) for the quarter January – March 2021.

 

Members noted that a number of questions about major works elements had been emailed ahead of today’s meeting.  It was agreed that they be considered by the AMWP tomorrow evening, and the responses circulated with the minutes of this meeting.  In response to a question about issues with data extraction, Members noted that the current system was due to be replaced.  The Assistant Director suggested that the AMWP receive an update on its implementation, expected in November 2021. Finally, the Chairman advised that nominations for membership of the Service Level Agreement Working Party were due by the end of this month.  Expressions of interested were welcomed, given that this working party is integral to the work of the RCC. 

RESOLVED, that – the report be noted. 

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 13.

14.

Progress of Sales and Lettings pdf icon PDF 132 KB

Report of the Director of Community and Children’s Services.

 

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 14.

Minutes:

The Committee received a report of the Director of Community and Children’s Services, which advised Members of the sales and lettings approved by under delegated authority since the last meeting.  The report also provides information on surrenders of tenancies received and the number of flat sales to date.

 

RESOLVED, that – the report be noted.   

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 14.

15.

Working Party Updates

To receive updates from the various working parties.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 15.

Minutes:

The Committee received updates from the following Working Parties:

 

  • Gardens Advisory
  • Asset Maintenance
  • Background Underfloor Heating
  • Leaseholder Service Charge

The Chair of the Leaseholder Service Charge Working Party (LSCWP) was aware that a number of residents are very  keen to cut service charges but stressed that the  LSCWP’s Terms of Reference sought to achieve value for money.  Members were also reminded that concerns should be fed back to the RCC representatives via the House Groups.  

 

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 15.

16.

Gardens Advisory pdf icon PDF 36 KB

Minutes:

17.

Asset Maintenance pdf icon PDF 38 KB

Minutes:

18.

Background Underfloor Heating pdf icon PDF 152 KB

Minutes:

19.

Leaseholder Service Charge pdf icon PDF 109 KB

Minutes:

The Deputy Chairman was aware that a number of residents are very  keen to cut service charges but stressed that the Working Party’s Terms of Reference sought to achieve value for money.  Members were also reminded that concerns should be fed back to the RCC representatives via the House Groups.  

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 19.

20.

Electrical Vehicle (EV) Charging Update pdf icon PDF 135 KB

Report of the Director of Community and Children’s Services.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 20.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee received a report of the Director of Community and Children’s Services in respect of the provision of EV charging points across the Barbican Estate Car Parks, following the introduction of Phase 1 in 2018, and the implementation of Phase 2 to the remaining car parks during Summer 2021. It included the re-introduction of a Residents Working Party via, the Residents Consultation Committee, and the ensuing meetings, actions and proposals.

 

Members noted an update to the report in that the Working Party had suggested a 16p per kw charge, and this would be amended before the report is presented to the BRC on 28th June 2021.  Officers were commended for their swift response to resident concerns and there had been 3 very constructive meetings in a short period of time, demonstrating good joint working between officers and residents.   Members asked if the BRC could instruct the Working Party to investigate the concept of ‘at bay’ charging for residents, noting that some technical issues would be likely.

RESOLVED, that – the report be noted.

 

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 20.

21.

Update Report pdf icon PDF 128 KB

Report of the Director of Community and Children’s Services.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 21.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee received a report of the Director of Community and Children’s Services which provided updates on :

 

1. Security - Anti-Social Behaviour

2. Agenda Plan

3. Public lift availability

4. Asbestos inspections

 

RESOLVED, that – the report be noted.   

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 21.

22.

Questions on matters relating to the work of the Committee

Minutes:

There were no questions

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 22.

23.

Any other Business that the Chairman considers Urgent

Minutes:

The Chair requested a verbal update from the Assistant Director, Barbican and Property Services.

 

Members were reminded that the City of London Corporation should have taken over the management of Blake Tower in September 2019.  The Assistant Director stressed that the building would not be  taken over until the City Corporation were fully satisfied as to the  condition of the building and the quality of the redevelopment work.  Members noted that the Assistant Director had written to the residents on three occasions, and Redrow had started to respond to the points raised in an independent survey.    The Assistant Director also stressed that the delayed takeover was outside the control of the City Corporation, which has done their utmost to seek a resolution.  Members would receive a more detailed report at the BRC/RCC meetings in September, and October 2021 was the very earliest date expected for the takeover. 

 

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 23.