Report of the Director of the Built Environment.
Members considered a consolidated Gateway 6 report of the Director of the Built Environment regarding City Public Realm Projects, namely those relating to Fredericks Place, 8-10 Moorgate, 1 Angel Court, 11-19 Monument, Monument Street/Lower Thames Street, Fenchurch Place, and Lime Street/Cullum Street. The following points were made.
· The Director of the Built Environment noted that the projects represented a mix of s278 and s106 projects, including some voluntary s278s such as that at Fenchurch Place, paid for by the Mercers’ Company. The employment of Riney for highway works had given the City a high degree of flexibility in delivery of works. There were a number of underspends across the projects, which meant the City would be undertaking more detailed surveys going forward to better inform cost estimates. Underspent s278 monies would be returned to the developer, and s106 monies returned to the City’s s106 balance.
· A Member noted that one potential implication of COVID would be less s278/s106 developments going forward, and urged the City to ensure that, if this proved to be the case, to do less improvement projects to the usual high standard, rather than seeking to do a large number of projects that compromised on quality of outcomes.
RESOLVED, that Members
· Approve the closure of Frederick’s Place Environmental Enhancements and note the return of remaining funds to the developer.
· Approve the closure of the 8-10 Moorgate Area Improvements project.
· Approve the closure of the 1 Angel Court Area Improvements project.
· Approve the closure of the 11-19 Monument Street Area Improvements project and note the return of remaining funds to the developer.
· Approve the closure of the Monument and Lower Thames Street Junction Public Realm Enhancement Project.
· Approve the closure of the Fenchurch Place project, note the outstanding actions and authorise the return of the underspend to the developer of their successors in title following the finalisation of the account.
· Approve the closure of the Lime Street and Cullum Street Area project.