Report of the City Surveyor
The Sub Committee considered a Gateway 4c report of the City Surveyor regarding refurbishment of the High Voltage (HV) and Low Voltage (LV) electrical infrastructure at Tower Bridge. The Chairman introduced the item and drew the Sub Committee’s attention to the risk and value for money considerations of the project. In response to questions from Members, the City Surveyor advised the Sub Committee on the building management system and the lease of the existing Diesel Generator room, the terms of which could be circulated to Members for oversight.
RESOLVED – That the Projects Sub Committee agree:
1. That a 99-year lease of the existing Diesel Generator room is granted to UKPN for installation of their substation, in order to significantly reduce the risk of power failure to the bridge and to the income generating exhibition;
2. That a project cost increase of £346,000 is approved for a change to the project scope following an opportunity to implement a known HV control system whilst improving the network resilience and future proofing the existing bridge lift system. Please note that this additional budget will be requested as part of the Gateway 5 budget;
3. Note the revised total estimated cost of the project at £6,076,293 (excluding risk) if the change in scope is approved;
4. Note the revised total estimated cost of the project at £8,238,003 (including risk) if the change in scope is approved; and
5. That Option 1 is approved. Option 1 seeks approval for the partial integration of the existing bridge lifting and new HV SCADA systems and approval to grant a 99-year lease for a sub-station to UKPN.