Report of the Managing Director.
Members received a report of the Managing Director providing updates from the Barbican Directors on their respective areas. The following comments were made:
· The Managing Director confirmed the Centre was again closed to the public for the second national lockdown. Streamed content would continue online. There had been significant activity up until the point of closure achieving a public confidence score of 97/8% and work would continue operationally behind the scenes.
· The Centre, whilst continuing to review the complex, everchanging options and scenario plan as much as possible, is working to reopen on 3 December.
· It was hoped that the exhibitions would be able to reopen on 3 December, notably the successful Michael Clark: Cosmic Dancer exhibition which would end in January.
· Innovation and Engagement were looking to archive working online and improve its digital products.
· With regarding the Creative Learning, the Centre’s civic purpose was developing through the strengthening collaboration between Beyond Barbican, Level G and the hyper local work with Culture Mile.
· The Director of Operations and Buildings gave thanks to the City Corporation and staff for their hard work and keeping the Centre safe. It was noted that times of closure had been used wisely to progress planned works on assets.
· Members were informed that whilst fundraising across the arts was uncertain, Officers were working hard to develop to the changing landscape and scope potential funding opportunities of which there were several pending. It was acknowledged
· Whilst future partnerships and corporate memberships continue to be explored, the Corporate team have managed to retain the loyalty of many current members. Opportunities for audiences and patrons to donate online have also been made available.
RESOLVED – That Members endorse Management’s approach to the future activities of the Centre.