The Market Superintendents for Billingsgate, New Spitalfields and Smithfield Markets to be heard
In respect of the wholesale markets, the following matters were reported by the Market Superintendents.
COVID-19 test centres had been accommodated on 50 days.
· Income from filming and car parking was beginning to show signs of recovery until the recent national lockdown was imposed on 5th November.
· An action plan was being worked up for future uses of the Billingsgate Market site and in the interim, further traffic management measures and improvements to fish handling facilities were being explored.
· The CoL was working collaboratively with MIND to provide mental health and wellbeing resources on site including a breakout area.
· Entrance barrier – CoL was negotiating with the contractor and following software upgrades full income was being collected with effect from 15th November. A few minor issues were outstanding and there were some operational challenges. The pedestrian gate was still not operating and Officers were liaising with IT colleagues to address this. Regrettably, these challenges had impacted on income collection.
· The Rent Review Exercise had been postponed until December 2020.
· Following the canopy collapses at West Smithfield, scaffolding and crash desks had been installed. Following an assessment on 9th November 2020, it was anticipated that East Poultry Avenue would reopen on 30th November and further works undertaken during 2021.
· A recent HGV audit had identified 7% non-compliance and delivery site rules would be reissued to remind drivers of Health & Safety requirements.