Report of the Director of Markets and Consumer Protection .
he Committee received a report of the Director of Markets and Consumer Protection in respect of the City of London Corporation’s award of a grant of £990,000, over three years, to implement a Low Emission Neighbourhood (LEN). During questions the following points were raised/noted:
· The consultation exercise would include both Barbican and Golden Lane residents and businesses.
· In respect of idling taxi engines, drivers could only be fined if they refused to switch them off. Members noted that other local authorities were taking action under anti-social behaviour legislation and the Director agreed to investigate other powers available.
· Members noted that the match funding had been identified before the bid had been submitted.
· Earlier this year, the City of London Corporation’s Procurement Policy was amended to incentivise low emission vehicles, with a stipulation that diesel should only be used if no alternatives were available. For example; the Addison Lee transport contract was being monitored to ensure compliance.
· Members noted that the full bid document, which had been circulated with the agenda pack, contained the full action plan.
In concluding, Members welcomed the report and the Director offered to keep Members informed as the project developed.
RESOLVED, that – the report be noted.