Report of the Commissioner.
Members considered a report of the Commissioner regarding Budget Monitoring Month Q2 2019/20 and the following points were made.
· The Commissioner noted the shift in forecast outlined within the report and reminded Members that, in financial terms, this had been a challenging year for the Force and it remained so.
· The Chairman of the Performance and Resource Management Committee noted that his Committee had highlighted the £2.3m non-pay costs and their potential to impact on the Medium Term Financial Plan. The Commissioner noted that the Force had, to date, been focusing on pay costs but would now move its focus to these non-pay costs.
· The Treasurer welcomed the work done to date but emphasised that a deficit remained and that the use of reserves, or short-term savings, were only one-off solutions to address this.
· In response to a question, the Commissioner noted that the current recruitment was year one of a three-year programme.
· In response to a question, the Chief Financial and Chief Operating Officer agreed to confirm the reasons for the projected £1.8m variance described in table 2 outside of the meeting.
· A Member expressed the hope that the current round of recruitment would be utilised as an opportunity to improve the Force’s gender and Black and Minority Ethnic (BAME) profiles.
RESOLVED, that the report be received.