To receive the draft public minutes and summary of the meeting held on 15 November 2019 and consider the proposed resolution outlined therein.
Members considered the draft public minutes and summary of the Performance and Resource Management Committee meeting held on 15 November 2019 and the following points were made.
· The Chairman of the Committee noted that Members at that meeting had scrutinised the Budget Monitoring Q2 2019/20 report and the Medium-Term Financial Plan, noting that the latter was key to ensure a balanced sustainable budget was achieved going forward.
· The Chairman added that Members had also noted the disappointing crime statistics reported under the Policing Plan 2019/20 – Performance against Measures for end Q2 report, whilst acknowledging that Extinction Rebellion policing commitments had likely had an impact on wider performance.
· Members went on to discuss the Committee’s recommendation that the Police Authority Board adopt a resolution for the Audit and Risk Management Committee that strategic project management be made a Corporate Risk, in light of the internal audit report considered at the Performance and Resource Management Committee meeting.
· A Member cautioned that the Authority’s Audit and Risk Management Committee often received requests to adopt new Corporate Risks, of which there were now 17. In his view, it was arguably more effective to allow risks to be held and monitored by the Department concerned, only escalating those risks to Corporate level when they were underpinned by a strong case for doing so.
· Members noted that, whilst the Authority had strengthened the governance and oversight of strategic projects through the establishment of the Capital Buildings Committee, it would nevertheless be appropriate to move a resolution to the Audit and Risk Management Committee to suggest that it consider the adoption of strategic project management as a Corporate Risk.
· A Member noted that Members should be mindful, going forward, of their duty to scrutinise projects effectively.
· That the draft public minutes and summary of the Performance and Resource Management Committee meeting held on 15 November 2019 be received.
· That the City of London Police Authority’s Audit and Risk Management Committee be asked to consider whether it would be appropriate to adopt strategic project management as a Corporate Risk, considering internal audit issues highlighted regarding the Police Accommodation Programme 2012-2017 and the Fleet Street Estate Programme.