Report of the Director of the Built Environment.
The Committee received the report of the Department of the Built Environment on proposed Charges for Street Cleansing, Waste Collection and Public Conveniences 2020-21.
A Member asked how the City charges offenders of fly tipping, if they are not known to the City. The Committee was informed that operatives from the City of London usually check through bags of bins and look for evidences. At times, it can be difficult, but Officers are looking at ways to readdress this.
Another Member noted that fly tippers from outside of the City are coming into residential areas at night time and are fly tipping both with liters and bulky items. Officers agreed to look into specific cases and work closely with Estate Offices.
Officers are exploring this through the lens ofpublic convenience and a report will be provided to the Committee in its future seating’s.
RESOLVED – That the Committee:
· approved that with effect from 1 April 2020:
- charges for Street Cleansing services to external clients are increased by 2.3% in line with RPI;
- charges for special events and other ad-hoc works provided to third parties
continue to be made at full cost plus 30% to cover the City’s management and administration costs;
- the charge for the collection of bulky waste is increased to £34 from £33;
- bulky waste collection continues to be offered free of charge on request to those who are in receipt of means tested benefits and to those who are infirm or disabled receiving assisted collections;
- the general waste charges for educational establishments are increased by 2.3% and food and recycling collection charges should be maintained at the current level;
- charges for the removal of highway obstructions to remain at the existing £60 plus VAT and for the removal of uncollected bagged waste to remain at £125 up to 10 bags and £5 per bag thereafter.
- charges for the staffed toilet facilities at Tower Hill, Paternoster, Royal Exchange and Eastcheap conveniences to remain at 50p per use.
- Smart bins (post mounted cigarette bins) sold to businesses be charged at cost plus 20% to cover the City’s administration costs; and
- Clean City Awards Scheme membership fees are kept the same.