Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Parliament Hill Conference Room, Parliament Hill Staff Yard, Parliament Hill Fields, Hampstead Heath, NW5 1QR

Contact: Leanne Murphy  Email:

No. Item




Apologies were received from Susan Rose, Mathew Frith and Ray Booth.


The Chair advised Members that this would be Thomas Radice’s last meeting as representative of the Heath and Hampstead Society and thanked him for his hard work during many years of service on this Committee. These thanks were echoed by Members.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 1.


Declarations by Members of Any Personal and Prejudicial Interests in Respect of Items on This Agenda


There were no declarations.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 2.


Minutes pdf icon PDF 222 KB

To agree the public minutes and summary of the meeting held on 19 April 2021.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 3.


The public minutes and non-public summary of the meeting held on 19 April 2021 were approved as a correct record subject to amendments concerning the draft Terms of Reference for the Hampstead Heath Sports and Wellbeing Forum and reference to Kenwood’s Forest School “Into the Woods”.


Matters arising


·         On behalf of Friends of Kenwood, a Member formally thanked the City Corporation for relocating the biodiversity board.

·         With regards to plans for the 150th anniversary celebrations, Officers confirmed plans were being discussed for an evening event of readings from local writers and a venue was being sourced.


 ...  view the full minutes text for item 3.


Hampstead Heath, Highgate Wood & Queen's Park Committee Minutes pdf icon PDF 219 KB

To receive the draft minutes of the Hampstead Heath, Highgate Wood & Queen's Park Committee meeting on 26 May 2021.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 4.


The draft public minutes of the Hampstead Heath, Highgate Wood and Queen's Park Committee meeting held on 26 May 2021 were received.


 ...  view the full minutes text for item 4.


Hampstead Heath Sports & Wellbeing Forum Action Points pdf icon PDF 152 KB

To receive the draft action points of the Hampstead Heath Sports & Wellbeing Forum meeting held on 5 July 2021.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 5.


The draft action points of the Hampstead Heath Sports & Wellbeing Forum held on 5 July 2021 were received.


Some Members voiced concern that the Member numbers were too high following the amalgamation of forums. Members were advised that the effectiveness of the new Forum would be reviewed next year after more meetings. It was also noted that the numbers were smaller on the Forum than this Committee and Officers were only present to report.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 5.


Superintendent's Update pdf icon PDF 109 KB

The Superintendent to be heard.


 ...  view the full agenda text for item 6.

Additional documents:


Members considered an update report of the Superintendent regarding Hampstead Heath and the following comments were made:


Drone guidance


·         The Heath & Hampstead Society did not feel that the draft guidance was strong enough in its position regarding drones as it only encouraged against the use of drones on the Heath which was not a legally enforceable presumption. Officers confirmed that changes in the air navigation order made things more complex and they were seeking legal advice to clarify the guidance. Will revisit and simplify further.


·         A Member (London Council for Recreation and Sport) recommended differentiating between policy and guidance requesting if the Corporation could have separate guidance from national guidance due to its byelaws. Officers confirmed they were reviewing relevant byelaws for Hampstead Heath and would use FPNs against those repeatedly breaking laws.


Professional dog walking scheme


·         Officers have liaised with the Professional Dog Walking Association and received 50 responses. Criticism was received from the lack of understanding of where professional dog walkers walked their dogs and a heat map has been developed to plot the 80 different routes used across the Heath.  Members were informed that the Heath would be zoned into 6 segments and a limited number of licenses would be issued for each zone. There would no longer be AM/PM slots. 


·         The Chair noted that a number of representations had been received from small business/individuals and there was a need to balance the maintenance of the environment with business reliance needs.


·         A Member (Hampstead Conservation Area Advisory Committee) enquired if east heath was a single zone as this appeared to be the most popular area. Officers confirmed east heath up to the fairground would be one zone.


·         Members were advised that there would be approximately 15-20 licences for each area with the load spread throughout the day.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 6.


Heath Hands Update pdf icon PDF 86 KB

Heath Hands to be heard.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 7.


Members received a volunteering update from Heath Hands.


Members were advised that activity was almost back to normal, and Heath Hands had contributed over 4,000 volunteering hours at the Heath. Other highlights included five paid work experience placements, a large number of youth groups and activities in September and October and a successful funding bid from the National Lottery Heritage Fund.




 ...  view the full minutes text for item 7.




There were no questions.

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 8.


Any Other Business That the Chair Considers Urgent


The Chair asked Members how they wished to continue with meetings going forward: 1) to continue meeting virtually, 2) meet in a hybrid fashion virtually and in person retaining recorded meetings but this would need to take place at Guildhall, or 3) go back to normal meeting at Parliament Hill but the meetings would not be recorded. It was noted that Open Spaces meetings were one of the most watched areas on the Corporation’s YouTube channel. The Chair highlighted the wider opportunities for consultation and transparency of conversations when meetings were recorded.


The Chair also noted the wide membership of the Committee which was not fully demographic of the area it represented.


RESOLVED - With two hours having elapsed since the start of the meeting, in accordance with Standing Order No. 40 the Committee agreed at this point to extend the meeting by up to thirty minutes.



Members were asked what their preference was for meetings and how they engaged the groups they represented. The following responses were made:


·         Dartmouth Park Conservation Area Advisory Committee - in person meetings at Guildhall or Parliament Hill. Represents 10 members with decisions to 30-40 people.

·         South End Green Association – happy with virtual meetings with a live audience but ok with meeting in person at Guildhall.

·         London Wildlife Trust - prefer hybrid and report to 10 people plus newsletter to 300 people.

·         Hampstead Garden Suburb Residents' Association – had difficulties with MS Teams but in principle hybrid meetings best solution when noting the wider audience ability and transparency. Have fb groups and could link to the agenda if appropriate.

·         Highgate Society – happy with virtual but prefer Zoom. Live meetings easier to have conversations so would go for hybrid. Report to committee of 15 people.

·         Marylebone Birdwatching Society – hybrid a

 ...  view the full minutes text for item 9.


Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting will take place on 1 November 2021.

 ...  view the full agenda text for item 10.


The date of the next meeting on 1 November 2021 was noted.


 ...  view the full minutes text for item 10.